Book Tag; The Philosophy Of Reading Book Tag

I came across The Philosophy of Reading Book Tag over at percydoeseverything and decided to play along as it looked like a fun tag to do.

1. What's most important...a good character, plot, or message?
A good combination of everything.

2. Should one read books about ideas or opinions they disagree with?
Yes, as it can broaden the horizons a bit. That said, I still have Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler on my TBR shelf as I dread to read it.

3. As tech advances, what do you think will be the role of books?
Something that should be enjoyed and respected in equal measures.

4. How important are summaries, review, and art in your book choosing?
Summaries are the most important, because if the book sounds boring, I'm not going to read it, no matter how much people rave about it.

5. Should one ever skim or scan a book?
Personally I don't, but I'm not going to deny other people to do it.

6. Should reading always be enjoyable?
Both yes and no. Yes in the sense that reading should for the most part be enjoyable, so people are encouraged to read more, but there's books that should be read that's not always that "fun" to read.

7. Is it important to be well-read?
Considering fake news and everything else, it certainly doesn't hurt to be well-read in order to be a bit critical to put it that way, so yes, in a sense it's important to be well-read.

8. What is your book buying process?
I usually read the blurb of the book to see if it sounds interesting, and I tend to buy it either by ordering it online or buying it at a physical bookstore.

9. What is your reading process?
I tend to read either by theme or by mood. Like, during the autumn, I often read horror and/or paranormal, the spring I often read crime/mystery or similar genres. No matter what though, if I'm not in the mood for a book, I pick up something else instead.

10. How do you use what you read?
Oh, that varies heavily on what it is that I've actually read. Like, I read fiction for enjoyment so there's little to make use of there, but quite a few non-fiction books have helped me learn new things and potentially open the horizon on things.

11. If you could download a book to your brain, would you still read?
It sort of takes the fun out of reading, doesn't it?

12. What are your views on rereading a book?
It's of course not the same as reading the book for the first time, but I can't deny I've re-read Dracula by Bram Stoker a few times.

13. What makes a book good?
For me, it's a mix of "everything", such as complex and fleshed out characters, well-crafted plot (and world-building in fantasy, sci-fi, and similar genres), and so on.

14. What makes a book bad?
Being the total opposite of what's mentioned above.

15. How do you feel about not finishing a book?
I don't like it, but sometimes I do it because I get too frustrated with the book.

16. Should the author's personal life matter at all?
In theory - no, but let's face it, I can't be the only one who's lost respect for J. K. Rowling due to her transphobic opinions.

17. If you could only read one genre for the rest of time, what would it be?
That's a no-brainer - I would choose horror.

18. Do you ever read a book without knowing anything about it?
It has happened, and on a few occasions it was a positive surprise.

19. What author, genre, series, or culture can you just not get into? Why?
I seriously struggle getting into bodice-ripping historical romance and the Twilight Saga. Needless to say, I'm not too fond of cheesy romance and sparkly vampires.

20. Do you think everyone should read? Why?
In the extent that it's possible, I think as many as possible should read in order to combat ignorance. Also, reading can be quite enjoyable if the reader finds the right book for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge