Review; Bayou Magic by Jewell Parker Rhodes

A while ago I read the middle grade novel Bayou Magic by Jewell Parker Rhodes and today I'll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
A magical coming-of-age story from Coretta Scott King honor author Jewell Parker Rhodes, rich with Southern folklore, friendship, family, fireflies and mermaids, plus an environmental twist.

It's city-girl Maddy's first summer in the bayou, and she just falls in love with her new surroundings - the glimmering fireflies, the glorious landscape, and something else, deep within the water, that only she can see. Could it be a mermaid? As her grandmother shares wisdom about sayings and signs, Maddy realizes she may be the only sibling to carry on her family's magical legacy. And when a disastrous oil leak threatens the bayou, she knows she may also be the only one who can help. Does she have what it takes to be a hero? Jewell Parker Rhodes weaves a rich tale celebrating the magic within.

My Thoughts on the Book
I really enjoyed Bayou Magic. It's about family, the environment and believing in yourself. The author managed to weave in key aspects in Western African myths to make it even more interesting and done in such a way that kids would understand. I enjoyed the author's writing style and it made me feel like I was there together with Maddie. I also wouldn't mind eating some of all the food mentioned in the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge