Review; Catherine House av Elisabeth Thomas

A little while ago I read the novel Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas and today I'll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
During your three years at Catherine you will have no contact with those in the outside world.

Each of our students has been selected as someone who belongs here. You will give to Catherine and Catherine will give to you.

We will not let each other down.


Catherine House is a university like no other. Into its celebrated world steps Ines, a young woman who welcomes the school's isolation rather than its illustrious past. As the gates close and Ines finds herself start to be inevitably seduced by its magnetic power, she begins to realise the question isn't why she chose to come to Catherine House; but why Catherine House chose her.

My Thoughts on the Book
Although Catherine House isn't an action-packed novel, I really enjoyed reading it due to the author's writing style and descriptions, the latter made the book and the setting come to life. The descriptions also made the book a really atmospheric read in my opinion, which is a good thing. Another thing that I enjoyed about this book is the LGBT+ representation.

That said, I can't say I was too thrilled about the animal testing mentioned in the book to put it mildly. There's also the mystery/horror aspect, which is downplayed to the extent that I was more or less wondering where's the mystery and horror?

Overall it was a good read though, but I can see that Catherine House isn't for everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge