Review; The Story So Far by Jane Eklund

For Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon in April, I read The Story So Far by Jane Eklund and today I'll post my review.

Desription from Goodreads
It's 1977. A 22-year-old finds herself ensconced in a place of dust and history: the archives room of a second-rate college. She's re-shelving Victorian etiquette books when the door opens and in walks a fabulous, seductive, larger-than-life writer of historical romances--and the young woman's life will never be the same. Set against 25 years of cultural evolution, the love between the two women--the younger librarian and the grande dame of cheesy literature--outlasts a 28-year age difference, romantic dalliances, illness, and the confines of the closet. Along the way, the librarian ponders the nature of life, death, religion, and philosophy with the help of the imaginary counterparts of Socrates, Hildegard of Bingen, and Suzanne Pleshette; samples casseroles with names like Vegetables Psychosis and The Tubers Karamazov; and forges a family with her best friend, Jeff, and assorted quirky characters who wander into their lives.

My Thoughts on the Book
The Story So Far is one of those hidden gems with beautiful writing due to the writing style of the author and the slow pace of the novel. It's an understated book, with several complex characters I slowly, but surely grew fond of and I didn't want the book to end. Also, it's one of the few books that actually made me cry (which just shows the impact it actually had on me).

The Story So Far is a novel I can't recommend enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge