Let's Talk Bookish; Buying Secondhand Books

It's Friday and perhaps time for a new Let's Talk Bookish post, courtesy of Literary Lion and Eternity Books. The theme of the week was buying secondhand books and here's the questions related to the prompt.


Do you buy secondhand books? Why or why not? What are the benefits of buying secondhand? What are the cons of secondhand books? What do you recommend people do to better support secondhand bookstores?

One of my favourite places in Stavanger is a secondhand bookstore located in Pedersgata called Løvås and I've lost track of how many books I've purchased there. The people that work there is really nice (and I occasionally get a dollar or two in discount from one of them as I'm a regular).

I would say there's several perks of buying secondhand. Not only is it possible to get books at a cheaper price, but in some cases, like Løvås, you support local businesses at the same time. For me, secondhand bookstores is also a bit of a treasure hunt, as there's no point in going in with a wish list, but rather go in and browse to see if there's anything that catches my eyes and I've found several great books by doing so, that I wouldn't have discovered otherwise.

If there is a con or two about secondhand books and bookstores, is as mentioned, you can't go into a secondhand bookstore with a wish list, and at some secondhand bookstores, they're pretty lax about the condition of the books (luckily Løvås isn't one of those places and they have a HUGE selection of books).

If I would recommend people one thing, it is to actually make use of the secondhand bookstores and buy books from such places. There's nothing wrong with buying brand spanking new releases, but backlog books and secondhand bookstores deserve a bit of love too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge