Review; The Haunting of the Antique Brooch by Hina Ansari

Last year I recieved an ARC of the paranormal horror novel The Haunting of the Antique Brooch by Hina Ansari through Netgalley. I read it shortly afterwards and today I'll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Roni and her family, lead a normal Muslim American life. As the youngest member of the family, Roni spends her summer vacations investigating haunted houses with her best friend, Matty. It seems like a fun distraction until the hauntings come home with Roni, disrupting the family and killing her grandfather. In the middle of all this chaos, Roni meets a mysterious girl, Marissa, who she might have a crush on. With the help of a ghost hunting team, Roni and Matty conduct a full investigation. They come to discover that one of the entities is trying to possess Roni. Will the entities within the house battle over who will take over Roni's body or will a mysterious friendly ghost be able to intervene in time to save her?

The author currently resides outside of Washington DC, with her two older roommates who need constant supervision. The author is currently working on plans to take over the world, if this writing thing doesn't work out.

My Thoughts on the Book
The Haunting of the Antique Brooch as an okay read for me, but nothing more than that. What I liked about it was the (casual) diversity of the characters, such as transgender Marry, Abby with Downs, Roni who's an Indian muslim and finds out she's a lesbian, and so on.

The supernatural/horror elements of the story was also okay, but perhaps a bit basic, especially if one has read quite a few horror novels thoughout the years.

What annoyed me a bit with this book was the ending, which I felt had a few loose ends, in addition to the fact that the antique brooch element was just briefly mentioned once or twice I think during the entire book.

That said, I liked the concept of the book, but I just felt it could have been written in a different way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge