Review; Transit by Abdourahmam A. Waberi

As I’m having the World Literature Project, I decided to read the novel Transit by Abdourahman A. Waberi, who is from Djibouti. Today I’ll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
Waiting at the Paris airport, two immigrants from Djibouti reveal parallel stories of war, child soldiers, arms trafficking, drugs, and hunger. Bashir is recently discharged from the army and wounded, finding himself inside the French Embassy. Harbi, whose wife, Alice, has been killed by the police, is there too--arrested earlier as a political suspect. An embassy official mistakes Bashir for Harbi's son, and as Harbi does not deny it, both will be exiled to France, Alice's home country. This brilliantly shrewd and cynical universal chronicle of war and exile, translated into English for the first time, amounts to a lyrical and reflective history of Djibouti and its tortuous politics, crippled economy, and devastated moral landscape.
 
My Thoughts on the Book
Although the novel is intriguing, I also found it a bit confusing at times, due to the multiple POV’s. If it were only one POV, I think it would have been an easier read.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge