Review; Harkworth Hall by L.S. Johnson

Recently, I read the horror/mystery novella Harkworth Hall by L. S. Johnson and today I'll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
“Ask him about his wives.”

Caroline Daniels must marry, and marry well. But in her remote corner of England eligible suitors are few and far between, and none hold a candle to her closest friend, Diana Fitzroy.

When Sir Edward Masterson arrives, he seems the answer to Caroline’s financial worries, though she instinctively dislikes the reticent, older merchant. Soon Sir Edward has set his sights on acquiring both Caroline and the decaying Harkworth Hall.

Caroline’s future seems secure, save that his enigmatic secretary hints at a dark secret, and Sir Edward shows an unusual interest in tales of monsters … and the blood in Caroline’s veins.

My Thoughts on the Book
Although I liked the concept of the book, I didn't find it that spooky, even if it had some eerie elements. Also, I can't say I liked the trans-unfriendly language in the cross-dressing narrative. If you're going to write a LGBT+ story with cross-dressing, at least make it trans-friendly. Come on, seriously?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge