Review; Charcoal Boys by Roger Mello

Several months ago I was fortunate enough to receieve an ARC of the picture book Charcoal Boys by Roger Mello through Netgalley. I read it shortly afterwards and today I'll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
From Hans Christian Andersen Award and Batchelder Honor Medal-winning author Roger Mello, a poetic and sensitive portrait of child labor in Brazil's charcoal mines.

Beautifully illustrated by Roger Mello with sophisticated, highly textural paper cut outs, Charcoal Boys follows a young boy working in Brazil's charcoal mines. The boy's strength and resilience shine through the darkness in this moving condemnation of child labor.

My Thoughts on the Book
Charcoal Boys is a sad tale with some beautiful illustrations. I think this book could work great as a starting point in regards of the topic of child labour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge