Review; I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem by Maryse Condé

Earlier this year, I read the historical novel I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem by Maryse Condé. As Maryse Condé is from Guadeloupe, I could finally cross off that country in my World Literature Project. Today, I'll post my review of the novel.

Description from Goodreads
At the age of seven, Tituba watched as her mother was hanged for daring to wound a plantation owner who tried to rape her. She was raised from then on by Mama Yaya, a gifted woman who shared with her the secrets of healing and magic. But it was Tituba's love of the slave John Indian that led her from safety into slavery, and the bitter, vengeful religion practiced by the good citizens of Salem, Massachusetts. Though protected by the spirits, Tituba could not escape the lies and accusations of that hysterical time.

As history and fantasy merge, Maryse Condé, acclaimed author of TREE OF LIFE and SEGU, creates the richly imagined life of a fascinating woman.

CARAF Books: Caribbean and African Literature Translated from French

This book has been supported by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, an independent federal agency.

My Thoughts on the Book
I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem was a compelling read. Not only does the book have a link to the famous Salem Witch Trials, it also talks about slavery. There were times when I got really pissed about how people treated Tituba, even if she hadn't done anything wrong. Another thing is that I really enjoyed the author's writing style.

I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem, is a book worth the read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge