Review; The Secret History by Donna Tartt

As I've heard so much about The Secret History by Donna Tartt, I couldn't resist reading it and today I'll post my review of the book.

Description from Goodreads
Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality their lives are changed profoundly and for ever.

Truly deserving of the accolade Modern Classic, Donna Tartt's cult bestseller The Secret History is a remarkable achievement - both compelling and elegant, dramatic and playful.

My Thoughts on the Book
I really enjoyed reading The Secret History and it's one of those books that sucks you in. It's a sort of reverse-mystery, as we know from the start that a group of college students murdered one of their fellow students, a bloke nicknamed Bunny. The author's eye for detail makes you feel like you're "tagging along" for the ride, whether you like it or not, and the characters are complex, which is a good think as it's no fun reading about those standard "cookie cutter characters".

I understand now why The Secret History is so hyped as it is, and it's one of those books that's actually worth the hype in my opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Announcing the 2022 Diversity Reading Challenge