Review; The Girl from the Coast by Pramoedya Ananta Toer

I had both Literary Voyage Around The World Reading Challenge and my very own world literature in the back of my mind when I picked up The Girl from the Coast by Pramoedya Ananta Toer, who happens to be from Indonesia. Today I'll post the review of the novel.

Description from Goodreads
Pramoedya's The Girl from the Coast tells the story of a beautiful young woman from a fishing village who finds herself in an arranged marriage with a wealthy aristocrat. Forced to leave her parents and home behind, she moves to the city to become the 'lady' of her husband's house. Pramoedya's breathtaking literary skill is evident in every word of this book, one of his classic works of fiction made especially poignant because it is based on the life of his own grandmother.

My Thoughts On The Novel
Even though I suspect there was a few things that got lost in the translation, it was still a really good book. It was a critique of the feudal and inhumane pratices of the Javanese upper class around 1900 and the story itself is very insightful. If one is in search for an Indonesian novel, I would highly recommend this book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge