Review; A Checkered Past by Daniella Bernett

This is the last day for me participating in Mystery Thriller Week. I was lucky enough to recieve a press copy of the crime novel A Checkered Past by Daniella Bernett from the author and today I'll post my review.

Description from Goodreads
A looted Nazi painting…A former IRA commander…The tie that binds is murder

Emmeline Kirby is back in London, determined to make a success of her new job as editorial director of investigative features at The Clarion. Three months have passed since her trip to Torquay and the devastating revelations that surfaced about her fiancé Gregory Longdon. The whole interlude has left a bitter taste in her mouth, and she is keeping him at arm’s length. But a suave and dashing jewel thief like Gregory is not easily daunted. After all, faint heart never won fair lady. It doesn’t hurt that Emmeline’s grandmother and her best friend, Maggie, are on his side. Only his shadowy past could ruin his chances.

All of these relationships are threatened as Emmeline stubbornly pursues a story about looted Nazi art and an IRA collaborator. When a stolen Constable painting belonging to Maggie’s family turns up in the collection of Max Sanborn, the chairman of the company that owns The Clarion, her personal crusade brings danger close to home. To find the truth, Emmeline and Gregory must untangle a web of deception, betrayal, and dark deeds. But will they learn too late that justice can be cold comfort if you’re dead?

My Thoughts on the Book
Personally I found A Checkered Past a fast paced and layered novel with links to the last. I think it might be helpful reading the rest of the books in the series (which I didn't), but it didn't ruin anything for me. It's still an entertaining read and I would recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge