Review; Lust, Caution and Other Stories by Eileen Chang

Last year I read the short story collection Lust, Caution and Other Stories by Eileen Chang. I haven't published my review until now as I wanted to focus on Asian author this month.

Description from Goodreads
In 1940s Shanghai, beautiful young Jiazhi spends her days playing mahjong and drinking tea with high-society ladies. But China es occupied by invading Japanese forces, and in wartime things are not always what they seem.

Jiazhi's life is a front. A patriotic student radical, her mission is to seduce a poweful employee of the occupying government and lead him to the assassin's bullet.Yet as she waits for him to arrive at their liasion, Jiazhi begins to wonder if she is cut out to be a femme fatake and coldly take Mr Yi to his death. Or is she beginning to fall in love with him?

A passionate tale of espionage, deception and love, accompanied here by four further short stories by Eileen Chang.

My Thoughts on the Book
The short stories are well written, with a high focus on the tiny details. Though I felt that sometimes things were a bit "lost in translation" and that I occasionally missed something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge