Let's Talk Bookish; What Makes You Continue Picking Up YA/Middle Grade?

It's Friday and time for a new Let's Talk Bookish, courtesy of Eternity Books and Literary Lion. The theme/questions of the week was "What makes you countinue picking up YA/middle grade? Or why don't you?".



I'm not going to deny that I sometimes pick up YA and middle grade books from time to time. Some YA and middle grade books are actually very well written and they occasionally deal with various topics in a different manner than "regular adult" books, which makes it a bit more interesting. It's not like I want to limit myself to only read adult books just because I'm in my early thirties.

Also, YA and middle grade books can be a bit refreshing after reading some really heavy books and I want something that's a bit lighter (although some YA and middle grade can be really dark too, don't get me wrong here). If I didn't read YA and middle grade books, I would have missed out on books such as Small Spaces by Katherine Arden, Bayou Magic by Jewell Parker Rhodes, as well as the Morrigan Crow books by Jessica Townsend and the Aru Shah books by Roshani Chokshi.

For me, it's more important that the books are well written and entertaining, rather than them being written for adults. There's so many good books out there, that I don't want to limit myself by the age range.

Comments

  1. I would totally agree with the sentiment that I am first and foremost reading a book that is entertaining, whether it's YA, MG or something else is second to that. MG I don't read at all because they just aren't for me, I need something darker and grittier than the plots they usually offer. YA is more of an occasional foray when, like you, a want a lighter read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't deny I prefer a bit darker books too. Luckily there's an occasional darker gem inbetween the MG's, such as Small Spaces by Katherine Arden and The Legend of Decimus Croome by Kevin Purdy.

      Delete
  2. I really love that a lot of people are talking about how much lighter YA reads are vs. Adult reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough that YA can sometimes be a bit dark, but on average I sometimes feel it's a bit lighter. That said, sometimes the best books dealing with heavy topics are either children's books, MG or YA.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight; Dancing in the Rain av Lucy Appadoo

Review; The Prettiest Girl in the Grave by Kristopher Triana

Annoncing the 2023 Diversity Reading Challenge